Tuesday, September 18, 2007

WestSide Hustle

The 21st Century Hustle crew is on the Westcoast this week. It will be fast times, in the fast lane getting goals accomplished with my my LA fam!! So in the spirit of the West I'm going to leave you with a piece we did in the first 21st Century Hustle Magazine on how to get it done when you are doing business on the left coast. Enjoy.


7 Things to consider while on business in LA

1. Get UP!
When your body wakes up at 4 AM PST get up!!! This will give you time to check emails, prevent fires, work out and see the sunrise. You never want your problems to have a three hour head start.

2. Navigate
Anticipate every move that you need to make for the day, and plan accordingly. LA traffic is unmerciful to the wrong turn. My thing was to rent cars with navigation and give myself an hour between meetings, because in LA Everything is an hour away.
3. Prioritize
Once I have my geographical bearings, I would set up meetings in order of convenience. I like to get my harder sells and office meetings done early so towards the end of the day I can kick it with my more casual clients. This way I could enjoy Mr. Chow with my folk (What up Tubby!)

4. Think like a Local, Act like an Immigrant
You traveled from your home 3,000 miles across the land for one reason, to get this money--Act like it. Don’t be daunted by the shallowness of Hollywood. On the surface understand they like aesthetics, but be diligent in your work and grind. Most cats just look the part-out do them with work ethic.

5. Time
LA tends to be very laid back in pace (they invented the three hour lunch) so it is easy to be hypnotized by the palm trees and mojitos. However, this casual trance will prevent you from taking advantage off all the opportunities that exist with the amount of time you have. Therefore, keep things at a go getter’s pace. This will set you apart and bring some excitement to the game.

6. Get Some Friends
This is very important when you are on the West frequently. In order to maximize your time and efforts you have to become ingrained into the economic fabric of LA. So having a network of people that can constantly keep your name buzzing is a must.

7. Smell the Roses

Find the places that inspire you and
build or steal the time to visit those places, between or after meetings.

No comments: