Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Education and the Entrepreneur


I got this comment from yesterday's post, Are Entrepreneurs Born or Made, regarding comments Barbara Corcoran made on the show The Millionaire Inside. I was going to respond on the comments page but since I get this same concern all of the time, about interviews in our magazine and on this blog, I decided it needed its own post.

Ronald said:
Seems like a neat show.

And what Barbara states, I believe it's true, yes... But I think it'll be taken way out of context by many viewers.

The way schools are run have problems, but that doesn't justify or glorify bad grades, which ultimately many listeners will do.


I Say:
We get a lot a of readers that get uncomfortable when someone has a problem with the school system.

I think Barbara is speaking from her own bad grade experience. She had problems working within that system. For me, I was good in the system but I realized that the system didn't align with what I saw in real life.

For the readers:
School is important, but paying attention to Real Life and your Own Instincts is just as important. To add to what Barbara was saying: We are trained to listen to cues from an authority(Teacher, Boss, Newscaster, Journalist, etc). They tell us whats hot, what's not, what to be afraid of, what works, etc.

When you are out here on your own there are no assigned teachers, but there is a test everyday. You have to find the teachers, and filter all of what you hear and see through real experience. The people who are most in tuned with that process will be more equipped to operate in a free wheeling environment.

How do you feel about Education and the Entrepreneur? Is school needed?

leave comment or send email to 21hsutle@gmail.com

No comments: