Tuesday, May 29, 2007

FLIP:From Wall St. trader to fashion-boutique owner


The Big Career Switch:


Who Pulled It Off: Omeka Clark, 30: Owns Emerald Rose, a Lower East Side fashion boutique.


What She Used to Do: Clark worked for investment banks, trading over-the-counter stocks.

Why She Switched: "I was tired of being one of a million traders on Wall St., and I wanted to be my own boss," she says. "I loved shopping, so opening a boutique made sense. I used to wake up angry. Now I can't wait to tackle my day."

How She Did It: "I saved some dough and quit my job," she says. "I learned about the 'young designer' fashion category and found my Eldridge St. storefront on Craigslist. My first designer, Tamara Pogosian, was someone I walked by on Houston St. and loved what she was wearing."

What Boutique Owners Do: "Everything," says Clark. "There's fashion stuff: going to runway shows and marketplaces, choosing the merch, displaying it. There's management stuff: bookkeeping, advertising, events, supervising my staff of one. And there's service stuff: selling the clothes and working with customers."

Who Does This Job Best: "Storeowners must be budget-conscious, hard-working and friendly to customers," Clark says. "To succeed with a fashion boutique, you need instinctive style plus the ability to put your clients' taste before your own."

How's the Money?: "The first year or two, you recoup your investment," she says. "If your store takes off, you can expect a comfortable New York living, six figures net. And if business is huge, you open branches and buy a vacation home on St. Lucia."

What About Perks?: "You get great clothes wholesale," Clark admits. "You become a fashion insider who gets invited to openings and meets designers. You become a part of your community, which feels great. Saturdays at my store are like a block party, with mimosas and beer."

What Else You Should Know: "Boutique owners are as well dressed as celebrities," says Clark. "I get mistaken regularly for Lauryn Hill."

Where to Find Out More: www.emeraldroseboutique.com

source:www.AmNY.com/careers

No comments: